In this installment the Overseer gives a brief account of the open-air services, of some cross-country trips, and portions of testimonies from the converts.
Open-Air meetings have been an important evangelistic feature of the Apostolic Faith church from the time of its founding in Portland in 1907. Aside from the street meetings conducted in different locations throughout the city, workers continue to take advantage of every opportunity afforded them in spreading the Good News to those in remote areas and neglected fields.
In years past, those in hop yards, CCC camps, Indian villages, and small communities had the Message taken to them in Word, song, and testimony. Today we have a corps of over 80 Christian workers dedicated to open-air evangelism. This large number is divided into seven teams, each a complete unit in itself, having a minister, an assistant leader, musicians, singers, and other Christian workers. Preceding the regular services in the church building, they pray; and then a band of Christian workers walk to a nearby corner where the meeting is to be held. A portable organ is carried by two of the men to be used as accompaniment to the singing. Following a song and testimony service, the meeting is closed, literature handed out, and the listeners are invited to attend the church service. Automobiles convey other groups to designated spots in different parts of the city – a street corner, or a park site, where crowds congregate.
Many "diamonds in the rough" have been salvaged from among the listening throngs, who possibly would have never heard the Gospel otherwise, for many on the street corners never would have gone to church. For this reason no method or means has been spared in trying to rescue men and women from the bondage of sin and to save them from eternal loss.